The most impactful things we did in the early days at BigCommerce (2009–2012) to grow the company from nothing to a $100M valuation.
During an interview last week I was asked to talk about the most impactful things we did in the early days at BigCommerce (2009–2012) to grow the company from nothing to a $100M valuation during that time, so I thought I’d share my speaking notes here to help other founders on their journey.
Invest In Design As A Differentiator
- Every business has some element of design that can be used as a competitive advantage to get new customers or employees
- What is the first impression potential customers get when they experience your brand? (reception area, website, etc)
- Think about your customer experience and how you can improve that with efficient design
Be Tied To Your Vision, But Not Your Approach
- Be open to new ways of accomplishing a goal?—?even if those ideas aren’t yours
- Look at what your competitors and companies in other industries are doing and apply what’s working to your business
- “You can’t manage what you don’t measure”?—?if something is important, make sure it’s being measured
Not All Customers Are Created Equally
- Understand who your “perfect customer” is
- Reallocate your marketing budget to get your message in front of more people who look like your perfect customer
- Team your team how to recognize (lead score) potential perfect customers and reach out to them first
Don’t Plan More Than 18 Months Out
- If you’re growing fast, your company will be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in 18 months from now
- You will probably have to replace your leadership team more than once over the next few years?—?and that’s OK
- Hire for where you want to take the company over the next 18 months?—?not 2/5/10 years
Don’t Rely On A Single Marketing Channel
- Understand the pros and cons of different marketing channels, especially online
- Get something working in one marketing channel and then test it across other marketing channels
- If it works on other channels, split your budget between those channels so you’re not reliant on a single source of leads or customers
Bonus Your Team Based On Customer Success
- The customer needs to be at the center of every decision your team makes, especially your leadership team
- The best way to incentivize people is to tie a part of their bonus (50%) to a customer success metric
- Net Promoter Score (NPS) has been the most effective for me?—?increased NPS from 12 to 65 in 18 months as a result
- Start measuring your NPS using Drift
- Set quarterly goals for your leadership team to increase your NPS from X to Y
- Attribute 25%-50% of your leadership team’s compensation to a customer success metric such as NPS
Focus On Market Opportunity, Not Competitors
- Don’t react or change your strategy based on a knee-jerk reaction to something a competitor does
- If you focus on making your customers happier over time, the rest will take care of itself
- Lead by example?—?obsess over your customers and teach your team to do the same
Listen To Your Gut When It Comes To Hiring
- If your gut tells you not to hire someone and you can’t explain why, then don’t hire them
- Back channel reference one of their previous bosses, peers and direct reports to get a real understanding of their character
- Take them to dinner with their partner and see how they communicate with each other
You Can’t Be Everything To Everyone
- If you have multiple products/services but no “break out hit” then focus on making one excellent in the short term
- Figure out which of your products/services will help your customers the most and go “all in” on that at first
- Determine which customer segment your product/service is best suited for and focus your marketing to appeal to them
01. What is Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud?
This refers to running Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle’s Cloud Infrastructure and Platform as a Service offerings, specifically the Oracle Compute Cloud Service, the Oracle Database Cloud Service, and the Exadata Cloud Service.
02. What capabilities are currently provided?
With an Oracle Compute Cloud subscription and with the tools provided in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace, you can quickly provision new instances of Oracle E-Business Suite, deploy development tools on the cloud, as well as clone your existing Oracle E-Business Suite instances from on-premises to Oracle Cloud. In addition, your on-premises and cloud instances can be managed simultaneously from the Oracle Application Management Suite.
03. What are the key benefits to using Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud?
Key benefits are support for business growth, greater business agility and lower costs and risks. Businesses must be agile to respond to changes such as acquisitions, globalization, divestitures, and regulatory or process changes, with the ability to adopt new technologies or applications functionality. IT can provision new development and test environments quickly in response to such changes while ensuring continuity of day-to-day operations.
Oracle’s Infrastructure as a Service is elastic and allows IT to scale up or scale out the infrastructure on demand. This elasticity and the flexibility to pay-as-you-go reduces the need for upfront capital expenditure, and decreases wait times for hardware and other resources, lessening overall project risk.
04. Is Oracle releasing Oracle E-Business Suite as a SaaS (Software as a Service) application?
No. Oracle has no plans to offer Oracle E-Business Suite as a SaaS solution.
05. Does Oracle provide managed services for Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud?
Yes. Oracle’s Managed Cloud Services team (OMCS) provides managed services for customers running Oracle E-Business Suite instances on Oracle Cloud or on-premises.
06. Are there additional fees for using Oracle E-Business Suite with Oracle Cloud?
Oracle Cloud resources and services are available for subscription by Oracle customers. Customers who already own Oracle E-Business Suite product licenses may use their Oracle Cloud subscription to provision and deploy Oracle E-Business Suite instances on the Oracle Cloud. The deployed instances may be used for development, testing, training, etc. Once a customer acquires a subscription to Oracle Cloud, no additional Oracle E-Business Suite license or usage license is required.
07. Do I need to purchase Oracle E-Business Suite product licenses in order to use E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud?
Oracle customers who already own Oracle E-Business Suite licenses may use the Oracle Cloud to host instances of their applications. Oracle’s Compute Cloud uses a “Bring your Own License” model, so customers who wish to use the Oracle Compute Cloud must already own a valid license to the software deployed on virtual machines in Oracle Compute Cloud.
08. How do I deploy Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud?
Once you have an Oracle Compute Cloud subscription, you can access the Oracle Cloud Marketplace and deploy ready-made machine images for provisioning, cloning, and development using the processes described in our online tutorials.
09. How do I restrict access to my Oracle E-Business Suite instances on Oracle Cloud?
By default, your instance is accessible only over a secure shell using an SSH key pair that you create for authentication. Extra steps are required to configure a web URL. You can retain this URL for private use or take further steps to enable access over public internet.
10. Can I customize and extend Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud?
Yes, the same Oracle tools you use within your on-premises data center are available on the cloud in order for you to customize or extend your Oracle E-Business Suite systems.
11. How do I migrate customizations of Oracle E-Business Suite on the cloud to my on-premises production system?
Oracle Application Management Suite provides the capability to migrate changes across your Oracle E-Business Suite instances.
12. Can we use our own custom data with Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud?
Yes, you can clone your on-premises instances to the cloud in order to create a complete Oracle E-Business Suite development and testing environment that uses your own existing data.
13. Can we use the same certified third-party products we currently use on-premises with Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud?
Yes, the entire Oracle E-Business Suite architecture is the same whether deployed on-premises or on Oracle Cloud. All third party components that comprise an Oracle E-Business Suite application instance will be deployed on the cloud. Oracle Cloud’s strategy should also allow customers to use Oracle Cloud to host instances of other applications that may be used to integrate with their Oracle E-Business Suite systems. Please refer to published capabilities and guidelines for using Oracle Cloud with your non-Oracle workloads.
14. Can I use the Database Cloud Service with Oracle E-Business Suite?
Yes, and some automation exists to help you migrate your existing 12.1.3 or 12.2 instances to the cloud, with the database hosted on the Oracle Database Cloud Service and the application tier hosted on the Oracle Compute Cloud Service. Oracle E-Business Suite Development is working on automation for additional scenarios.
15. Can I use the Exadata Cloud Service with Oracle E-Business Suite?
Yes, you can, and Oracle E-Business Suite Development is working on additional automation for scenarios with the database hosted on the Exadata Cloud Service and the application tier hosted on the Oracle Compute Cloud Service. To meet any immediate requirements, you may wish to engage Oracle Cloud Managed Services or an Oracle partner.
16. What tools are used for managing Oracle E-Business Suite environments on Oracle Cloud?
The Oracle Application Management Suite allows you to monitor and manage Oracle Cloud and on-premises instances with a unified interface.
17. Does Oracle support deploying production instances of Oracle E-Business Suite on the Oracle Compute Cloud Service?
Yes. We have Oracle E-Business Suite customers running their production instances on Oracle’s Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) today.
At BrightStar Solutions we promise to support you end-to-end. Through the Oracle Cloud Application solution, first we understand your objectives, then as an extension of your team, we’ll help you achieve them.
Implementing new cloud ERP is a big deal
Eradicating disparate systems and moving to a single cloud offering does carry a lot of benefits.
You can make faster business decisions, based on accurate, real-time data. Having one version of the truth will improve your understanding of your customers. And your suppliers. That means you can run more targeted marketing campaigns, and offer better support, improving relationships. Your teams will be less bogged down in manual processes, and they’ll benefit from remote access. They’ll become more efficient as a result.
You need a partner that’s going to be with you all the way…
With BrightStar, every ERP project starts with an initial discovery meeting. Using our sector experience, our experts work in partnership with you to review your objectives and your current processes, actively challenging these to really help shape your requirements.
This is an important stage that will ensure you get the most from your cloud ERP solution.
We support you at each stage of the project, through dedicated teams….
Our team of dedicated Certified Project Managers, who are highly skilled and experienced. And it’s their job to make sure that your budget and timescale aspirations are met.
When it comes to deployment, our dedicated team of consultants have over 20+ years’ experience implementing both on-premise and cloud ERP.
But what really sets us apart is our dedicated team of over 50+ support consultants. They have over 350 years in combined experience supporting ERP solutions. They consistently meet their SLA’s and we’re very proud to say that through them, we have achieved the highest level of customer satisfaction.
So what’s next?….
If you’d like to know more, please visit our business page at http://www.BrightStarsolution.com or mail us at email@example.com, we’ll come back to you at a time and date that’s convenient for you.
BrightStar Fusion team is looking for a strong Fusion HCM Consultant. Must be able to Write and review configuration documents, functional design documents, Test scripts, Patch impact analysis etc. Capable of handling Solution Design /Functional Fit Gap /Training/CRP sessions independently.
Assist the customer in addressing their complex business challenges by maximizing performance of the Human Resource (HR) function through solutions provided across the Oracles Fusion stack.
Provide functional consulting services by acting as a Fusion / Cloud HCM subject matter expert and advise clients on options, risks, and impacts across Fusion application and Lead the project team of functional consultants through the implementation lifecycle, drive project deliverables and provide status and issue reports to the customer
- Identify business requirements, translate to Oracle Cloud functionality, identify functionality gaps and develop solutions for them Configure the Oracle Cloud HCM applications and common cloud setups to meet client requirements
- Define testing scenarios and develop test scripts
- Develop training materials and conduct end-user
- Minimum of 4+ years of experience in a Fusion HCM Functional Lead role
- Oracle Fusion HCM Cloud experience in Core HR and at least one of these modules: Benefits, Payroll and Compensation
- Must have a thorough understanding of the SDLC.
- Experience with functional / technical implementation of Oracle technologies
- Oracle HCM Cloud certification
- Knowledge of implementing phases of Oracle unified method (OUM)
- Candidate must have at least 7+ years of experience in the industry and should have worked on Oracle Applications projects for at least 5 years.
- Banking/Finance industry exposure is an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business/Human Resources, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or related HR / IT discipline
- Knowledge of the HR function and processes or relevant academic coursework / professional certification programs
- Demonstrates commitment to providing Quality Customer Experience.
- Excellent service-driven customer-focused skills.
- Proven ability to work in both a team environment and independently.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Superior project planning and management skills. Strong time management skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to absorb, master and leverage emerging technologies. Exceptional troubleshooting and problem solving abilities.
- Talent for creatively utilizing technology, people and processes to solve unique business problems in a cost-effective manner
Interested !! Please mail your updated profile to firstname.lastname@example.org
To know more about BrightStar, visit our business page at http://www.BrightStarsolution.com
BrightStar’s Skill Upgrade Training on Enterprise Resource Planning Cloud help you achieve:
- Career Growth: our curriculum is developed to teach you skills that directly align with real-life IT jobs.
- Salary Advancement: its found that Oracle Certified Professionals having Techno-Functional skills earn higher salaries when compared to other DBA or Developer professionals.
- Expert Instruction: learn Oracle from the team involved in Oracle Application implementation and development.
- Flexible Learning Options: Pick the format that matches your learning style & schedule. ( Flexi-Online Training Coming Soon )
- 100 % Student Satisfaction Guarantee: if you’re not completely satisfied with your training experience, you can re-take the same class for free.
Upgrade Batch Start Dates.
- EBS R11/R12 to Fusion/Cloud EBS – New Features & Differences
- week-end, sat/sun, full-time batch, 10am-6pm ( max 8 students )
- Apps Technical to Oracle Financials Techno-Functional Expert
- week-end, part-time batch, 7pm-9pm ( max 8 students )
- Apps Technical to Oracle Supply-Chain Techno-Functional Expert
- week-end, full-time batch, 10am-6pm ( max 8 students )
- Apps Technical to Oracle HRMS Techno-Functional Expert
- week-end, full-time batch, 10am-6pm ( max 8 students )
For details, please contact us at email@example.com or call +91-9823.00.5326 to en-roll and confirm your seat.
Oracle Forms still continue to be a part of mainstream technology for some of the organizations and it is one of the oldest technologies developed by Oracle to build enterprise applications with speed and ease over the past two decades. Oracle Corporation has publicly committed that Oracle Forms will continue to be an important component of any future Oracle platform releases.
Based on the reports published by Oracle Corporation, We strategically assumed that Oracle Corp. will continue to support and invest in forms no later than 2017. This roadmap given by Oracle Corp. enables organizations to leverage its existing investment in Oracle Forms by upgrading them to newer versions of Oracle 11g (or) to a more versatile Oracle ADF (Application Development Framework). These upgrades can take the advantage of the standard web technologies and service oriented architecture (SOA).
- Organizations can Migrate/Modernize their Applications
– To latest version of Oracle Forms
– Integrate with Oracle ADF (with Fusion Middleware) Video / Screenshots / Demo
– To Oracle Application Express (APEX)
– To Dot Net/ JEE, HTML5, CSS3, RESTful Services, JQuery Video / Screenshots / Demo
– To Phonegap, Android
Option 1: Upgrade Forms to Latest Version
Globally organizations whose applications run on legacy systems face a serious challenge in upgrading the legacy systems to meet their business demands. The challenges faced are:
+High cost associated with maintaining and upgrading the expensive legacy systems
+Risk associated with running potentially unsupported hardware and software
+Shrinking labor pool expertise on legacy systems
+Lack of flexibility
+Lack of integration and web capabilities for different business applications
Legacy systems are any organization’s biggest IT assets with millions of investments, decades of development from generations of team supporting critical business functions. BrightStar’s Legacy Modernization Solution offers enhanced flexibility to your enterprise by modernizing and migrating your legacy systems to help you increase business responsiveness, lower costs and mitigate risks.
Option 2: Transform to & Integrate With Oracle ADF
As JDeveloper, the development environment (IDE) and ADF share a common look-a-like feature with Oracle Forms, the features of one and another can be mapped with least complexity and less cost involved. In addition ADF offers unprecedented support of the Oracle Database ensuring a natural migration path for Oracle Forms applications. Also, this approach will help in retaining the existing workforce as the knowledge ramp-up to maintain the migrated ADF application is almost insignificant.
While upgrading Oracle Forms it would be a prudent move by any organization to upgrade as well as modernize the existing forms application by re-factoring the existing code base to align to Oracle’s current standard of application design and architectural best practices. This modernization approach would provide one significant advantage of establishing a foundation to leverage the integration features of current and future tool-set versions with Oracle Fusion Middleware and Java tools. Some features the legacy application will be complemented with are
- Ensures support from Oracle – In fact Oracle’s future direction
– Rich user interface driven by CSS
– Services Enablement
– Identity and Authorization Management
– Business Intelligence
Option 3: Cross Platform Modernization: Modernize to Non-Oracle Platform
Migrating legacy Oracle Forms applications to APEX can be a lot easier than other technologies. It also provides interfaces to the user to transform the Forms application functionality very quickly. APEX doesn’t require expensive application servers like WebLogic; rather HTTP Server is sufficient to deploy and run the APEX application. APEX may not be a perfect replacement for Oracle Forms as APEX cannot do everything as Forms can do; but still APEX surely matches the fair proportion of the Forms behavior and functionality.
BrightStar performs the conversion using the APEX conversion approach and implement the business logic with experts in quick turn-around time. BrightStar also ensures the code is very clean and maintainable.
Option 4: Transform to .NET / JEE, HTML5, CSS3, RESTful Services, JQuery
One of the most preferred destinations would be Microsoft’s .NET platform. The major reason is, the developers will have a lesser learning curve as both the technologies have similar features between them. Another dominant destination is JEE platform. Plenty of open standard frameworks and resources are available with ease.
BrightStar transforms the Oracle Forms applications to the web platform on .Net /JEE using inbuilt conversion tools to minimize the effort required for the complete transformations. BrightStar uses Restful services to build the web applications.
HTML5/CSS3 support features such as responsive design, rich user friendly UI designs, ease of access anywhere any device and lightning speed page rendering are more attractive to customers. The pages designed using HTML5 could be reused with minimal changes to develop the mobile application using Phonegap APIs.
Ensure support for the technology stack of choice Rich User Interface in web and mobile Utilizing the services rendered by Microsoft technology stack
Option 5: Transform to Phonegap, Android
BrightStar transforms the Oracle Forms applications to the mobile platform using, Phonegap device independent API and native Android API. The sever side will be developed using Restful services on .Net/JEE platform.
Oracle Forms application is a desktop application which might not be required to be migrated to mobile application on whole. The functional flows which are required on mobile application need to be identified and only those flows will be transformed to mobile platform.
For example, the entire Hospital application is not required to be migrated to mobile platform. The screens used by doctors, visiting patients in the wards, are only required to be migrated to record the patient’s current health condition in the system.
Another example, the collection agents will go and visit customers’ location to collect funds. The customer might not be always available on their own locations. The funds collected from the customer along with geographical location are tracked in the system.
BrightStar follows the incremental approach for re-engineering and migration services.