(1) The Exotic EBS Islands of Usage That Will Save You Time and Reduce Risk
In the Oracle® E-Business Suite ecosystem, usage information is all about knowing which components are in use, and which are not in use.
Unfortunately, Oracle does not provide a central usage dashboard.
Why is usage important?
Any time you make a change to your system – an upgrade, a patch, a functional or technical release – it can impact your Oracle EBS system. You need to perform tests, fixes and then more tests.
Why spend time and effort testing an area not in use?
We have discovered that although Oracle EBS doesn’t provide a central usage dashboard, it does provide two little – known “islands of usage”.
The Exotic Island of Apps
The first is what we call the Island of Application Component Usage. Oracle EBS stores usage information of some operational tables – such as form tables, Oracle Framework information, workflows and alerts.
We tried to build a picture of these isolated islands, but ran into a problem. Most companies purge these usage information tables every few weeks in order to avoid performance issues. Why?
Because the tables grow exponentially in size.
We extract usage information and aggregate it for you. We turn this usage information into actionable insight. This allows us to tell you what to test – and just as important – what not to test. There is a huge ROI here – we save you valuable time without raising your risk.
The Exotic Island of DB
Next is the Island of Database Component Usage. This island is much more problematic than the previous one. Oracle EBS does have a built – in mechanism to monitor database object usage, but it can impact your database performance.
Like a forbidden fruit, you can look at it but can’t taste it. Activate it and it can slow your system to a crawl. We’ve seen hundreds of Oracle EBS systems and have yet to come across anyone who uses it.
We developed a unique static code analysis that enables us to understand the relationships between code components. For example, we can analyze a form and learn which packages or view this form is using. We can therefore build a “call graph” that describes which code components call other code components.
Knowing which application components call database components allows us to inherit the usage from the app level to the database level. We are able to tell you which database components are used and which database components are not used.
Again, this saves you time while reducing risk.
“The moral of the usage story? What you don’t use is just as important as what you do use!”
(2) Relieve Your Pain with the Hidden EBS Customization Manager
- Are you still applying customizations with scripts?
- Do you track which customizations you have in which environment with Excel?
- Are you occasionally deleting customizations after cloning environments?
- Do you have problems with your SOX Auditor?
The Hidden EBS Customization Manager
Oracle EBS Customization Manager can help you with all of the above! It’s not new, but like an obscure song from the past, not everyone knows about it.
EBS Customization Manager enables you to create your own custom patches that will appear and behave like a standard patch! Your custom patch will even contain all of the necessary metadata and acts in every possible way as a standard EBS patch. You can install it on any environment,
move it to be installed in production with all of the tools you normally use, like Adpatch and Patch Wizard.
Add Style to Your Patches
Large organizations that have many developers all over the world have an especially tough time
understanding what was installed on each environment. Customizing your patches adds a strong touch of organization and structure.
Your customized patches can easily be connected to an approval process that will help you to be Sox compatible.
Although it will always be easier to use scripts to install customization’s, it is risky and you lose scalability. Packaging your customization may take a bit more time, but consider these key benefits:
- Pack all technical and functional components that relate to one customization into one patch.
- Automate the creation of customized packages that are deploy-able with Patch Manager or standard Oracle E-Business Suite Applications DBA (AD) Utilities.
- You gain a repository to manage and catalog customization’s.
- Customized patching validates custom code with software coding best practices using a standards checker.
- Integrates with most source control systems.
- Supports National Language Support (NLS) patches.
- Generates reports on customization packages or
manifests in these formats: rich text format (RTF) for Microsoft Word, PDF, or Microsoft Excel.
- Provides an interface to manage custom applications across the enterprise
- The bottom line – packaging your customization’s as patches gives you better quality control and you will be taking your Oracle EBS system to a higher level of efficiency. Isn’t that your goal?!
Let BrightStar Consulting help you cut risk and cost on your EBS patching.Do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a free assessment now!